Monday, August 29, 2011

I don’t cook breakfast for my family every morning; however, when I cook breakfast, which is brunch due to my late rising I make an unbelievable homemade French toast. I use a recipe first perfected at Balthazar’s in New York City. My cooking and baking skills are superb, some may say that my palette is narrow which may be true, but I believe that I can cook or bake anything. When I am given the recipe and with the assurance that I would not have to eat what I cooked.
I don’t run marathons or climb mountains however; I have in the past done what needed to be done. While working as a RN I accompanied a patient that needed to be E-VACED riding in a “very old helicopter,” then as a civilian I attempted to rescue a climber on the top of a steep mountain cliff unfortunately the man had fallen to his death.
I don’t run a business but I have set up a Medical Clinic in my hometown that will care for thousands- myself and another RN started with “nothing” except a space, some basic equipment and a Benefactress dream of opening a Clinic for the “poor”.
Because of my Chronic Pain, many people view me as flawed but I have always been a “go getter.” As young as 12 I was volunteering as a Candy Striper this led me to a job in the same hospital working in the Physical Therapy department. My job entailed doing treatments to being a patient porter. This was followed by working in X-ray, and then the Operating Room, I supplemented my income with Baby-Sitting in my Neighborhood. Nursing School, work, Marriage, and children followed with many adventures sprinkled in, I have supported my Husband, my Children and my family through the years. I take great offence to people around me that have forgotten that I have achieved a GREAT deal in my life. The few examples that I have given may seem dramatic. I don’t look for extreme or dangerous risk however; I do what I need to do.
I have written this as much for myself because I tend to get very depressed due to the difficulty I have with mobility I need to remember my active years and that I still have fight with a lust for life inside myself.
My father always said, “The day after you die the world goes on without you and life is no bed of roses”. I need to enjoy each day no matter what is thrown my way.
And to those how don’t appreciate me WAKE UP!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Those seem like some fantastic adventures to me, Aunt Karen!! You have done a lot of things in life and have a family that loves you :)
I am always grateful to receive your postcards; they are displayed on my wall with my pictures and I think of you when I see them.
Take Care!

hiker mom said...

Karen, what you've done and continue to do are the most important things in life I can think of, supporting yourself and your family. We greatly appreciate the encouragement and support you give us. Have a great day, Love, Lee