Friday, October 17, 2008

After Talking with Jenni

Jenni and I talked on the phone last nite and I was very sad because she has a case in her office that deals with child abuse.
I know all child abuse is horrible but it just baffled me that parents who for some reason burn their child (accident or not) instead of taking the child to the ER they wait a day. First, they said in the ER that the child had gotten into medication in the mom’s purse and then gotten sick. Well the real story, as we now know it…the child was screaming because of the burn and the mother dosed the child with 50 doses of Methadone….under 2 years of age…50 doses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is a controlled NARCATIC, the mother had several scripts written by different doctors but the legal department didn’t want to prosecute (I don’t judge it could be a minor problem in the scheme of things), but I thought this abuse should be attempted Murder and I know it sounds extreme but I looked up attempted murder and there are a lot of bench marks that have to be met. Here is my claim: if a mom gives a child Tylenol to relieve the pain- most parents don’t know that Tylenol is deadlier than most anything because Tylenol cannot be removed from the body- it stays in the body where Methadone has Narcan that reverses the affect and dialysis along with other remedies. I say that the parents wanted to shut the kid up and damn the consequences. We treat our child with so little regard, we need to treat children as people that have physical and emotional limitations… if the baby is crying and not stopping there is something wrong. That is my rant for today.

No comments: