Monday, November 10, 2008

30 years ago

I was watching TV and there was an update... 30 years ago the "Jones town" mass suicide occurred and it made me think. The premise sounded good, all people living in perfect harmony. However, the leader that can put together a perfect society must also believe that he is still a "common" man. Not someone who elevates himself into a God as Jim Jones did. I can't understand why people do what they do. Why do we hurt each other? I can imagine that people do things unintentional without malice. However when behavior is repeated, it is difficult to believe that it is not malicious. As I say this I must also say that while I was growing up I heard my father yelling at his brothers (at work) and on occasion at us children and my Mom. Therefore, I know I have his quick temper and do react to situations in a way that is hurtful to the people around me. I do apologize for my behavior after if I realize I have been hurtful but many times, it is so quick we go on with the things of the day. That is no excuse, because for me I have said that if you know you have done something wrong stop doing it. Therefore, this is the human dilemma. Good people, self-aware people that examine their daily behavior and still do not change. I hope to continue this discussion tomorrow... any comments on the topics you care to share please leave them here or email me ... I would love input.

No comments: