Tuesday, December 16, 2008

How things change

It is midnight and I am watching "The Bishops Wife" the old b&w version with Carey Grant... I looked at the clothes the people were wearing and it made me laugh. The women wore a plastic type boots… it reminded me of the boots Mom wore. They came to just above the ankle, they wore them over your shoes, a tab, and a button hooked over to keep the water out. The women must have frozen, the boots had no lining, and they never wore anything but dresses with stockings. Women didn’t wear tights or leggings, I remember one Christmas years later I was getting my first knee high boots and Mom wanted to know if they fit. Therefore, I went into their room, sat in the green leather wingback chair, and closed my eyes as Mom put the boots on- it was so silly but Mom loved to surprise us. It worked I loved the boots. Liz conveyed a story of when she was very little, it was Christmas Eve… Carl and James decided to tell her that they could hear Santa and his Reindeer on the roof and she had to go to bed, she believed every word and was delighted that she actually caught Santa on her roof. The boys thought it was a joke but the last laugh was on them because it has been a wonderful memory for years.
Gary was 11 years old and it was Christmas morning. He woke up and was directed by his parents to stay upstairs until everyone was ready. His father was at the bottom of the steps getting ready with his 8mm film camera, the camera came with large floodlight type bulbs mounted on the top of the camera; they impaired their vision for hours. He came into the room and discovered a flexible flyer sled hidden behind the couch. He spent many happy hours flying down hills around his house.
I have put out a request for stories of Christmas or Birthdays that were special... I remind everyone that I am still waiting for some of you.

1 comment:

dontknow said...

I don't have time to write up a story, but I remember a very maple birthday.